The perception of a website being down may be limited to you or your ISP. If you believe your website is down or you cannot reach your website outside of any scheduled maintenance, here are some of the troubleshooting steps you can take:
- Are you able to ping your website?
Windows command line and Mac terminal:
- Have you made any DNS changes at your website registrar / DNS provider?
- Verify if your site is actually down using "Is it down for everyone or just me?".
- Try accessing your website from another device or computer. You can also ask someone on a different internet service provider to check your URL, as your provider's DNS may have stale records (this is common for domain name transfers or DNS related changes).
- Try accessing your website without your router or WIFI (directly connected to modem, you may need to power-cycle the modem in some cases).
- Flush your DNS
Windows command line (as admin):
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
- Is there a server upgrade, maintenance or provision taking place? Check the Server Status (client login required).
- Did you change your OS HostFile? If you have no idea, then probably not.
If it's down Open a Support Ticket.